Welcome to our website. We hope that you will use it to find out about all the exciting things we have done and have planned at Rosewood Primary School. Rosewood Primary School, Burnley. BB11 2PH 01282 463790
At Rosewood we use the 'Read Write Inc' programme and each child works in a group suited to their ability. Ask you child which colour 'Read Write Inc' group they are in, they come home with that colour book each week, or email the year one teachers to find out. They will then be reading the words and completing the tasks appropriate to their ability.
Daily virtual lessons for children - A message from the people who created Read Write Inc
'We're streaming three, short Speed Sounds lessons for children to watch at home every weekday on our YouTube channel.
YOUTUBE SPEED SOUNDS LESSON SCHEDULE 1st June – 31st July
All daily films will be available at 9.30am from Monday to Friday. Each film is approximately ten to fifteen minutes long and will be available on YouTube for 24 hours.
• Set 1 Speed Sounds, Word Time Reading and Spelling (for children in Nursery and Reception and children who are new to English).
• Set 2 Speed Sounds and Spelling (for children in Reception that can read Set 1 Speed Sounds and for children in Year 1 and 2).
• Set 3 Speed Sounds and Spelling (for children in Year 1 and 2 that can read Set 2 Speed Sounds).
• Read longer words: for children who can read Set 3 sounds and words confidently. See schedule below.
• Read Red Words 1: for children who are reading Red, Green, Purple, Pink and Orange Read Write Inc. Storybooks. Many children are able to read these in Reception.
• Read Red Words 2: for children who are reading Yellow, Blue and Grey Read Write Inc. Storybooks. Many children are able to read these in Y1.
• Read and Hold a Sentence 1: reading and writing practice for children reading Green, Purple, Pink and Orange Read Write Inc. Storybooks. (For children reading and writing with Set 1 sounds confidently and learning Set 2 sounds.)
• Read and Hold a Sentence 2: reading and writing practice for children reading Yellow, Blue and Grey Read Write Inc. Storybooks. (For children reading and writing words with Set 2 sounds confidently and learning Set 3 sounds.)
See the link below for information about Read and Hold a Sentence and Red Words. All films will be in separate categories on the YouTube channel.
Oxford Owl - ebooks
Take a look at Oxford Owl for Home, where there are free Read Write Inc. eBooks (click on the ‘eBooks’ link underneath ‘Read Write Inc. Phonics Guide for Parents’) www.oxfordowl.co.uk/read-write-inc-home
Parent videos on pronouncing the sounds, how to sound-blend, read diagraphs, read stretchy sounds etc are also available on this page.
Activities for home
Practice reading these words below (look for the colour of group they are in) with your child.
Non-sense words – Children try to spot the sounds they have been learning (the special friends) and then sound out the word and read it.
Ask children to –
Spot the special friends, fred talk, read the word.
(If you can print off the sheet, they can underline the special friends)
Films for parents
In addition to the videos metioned above on Oxford Owl, there are parent tutorials on the parent page of the Ruth Miskin website: www.ruthmiskin.com
The YouTube channel is currently having a face-lift to help parents find the films easily. RWI will add a parent film to Facebook every day too.
Here are the links: